Progress & Goals
LEAN BODY MASS
My Workout Philosophy View My Full Workout Program
Each of my daily workouts during my transformation challenge is detailed in my body blog. Check it out!
Since my entire strategy is based on a primal lifestyle, my workouts do not follow the traditional structured body building paradigm. Each day is a different workout and they are all detailed in my daily blog. However, there are certain elements of my workouts that serve as a guide. They are:
- Free Weights - Dumbbell, Barbells
- Weighted Machines - including cable machines
- Body Weight Exercises - push ups, pull ups, dips, lunges, squats
- Isometric - incorporate lifting belt for isometric resistance
- Weighted Core Work - Machines, medicine balls, and plates
- Unweighted Core Work - Crunches, leg raises, etc...
- To and from the gym,
- Up, down and around Stone Mountain
- To and from the park
- Indoor Cycle Classes
- Provides the most variety of intensity levels - never the same workout and heart rate is always guessing.
- Zero joint impact
- Incorporates resistance
- Incorporates Sprinting
Break Through Training
Personal Training Services
- Incorporates weighted moves, body weight moves, core work, and intense cardio work to include uphill sprinting, field sprints, resistance sprints, etc. into a single workout session.
My Nutrition Program View My Full Nutrition Program
As with my workout program, each day's nutrition during my transformation challenge is detailed in my body blog!
In keeping with my primal lifestyle strategy, I incorporate a primal/paleolithic diet that has a few modifications for modern man. The diet is basically a high-fat,adequate protein, low carb diet. The best part of all is that I never have to count anything. It is built around these concepts:
My goal is about .7 grams of daily protein for every pound of body weight. At 180, I need about 125 grams of protein daily. Without counting grams, I eat a couple of servings of meat and a couple of servings of whey. I use protein supplement mainly because my goal during the challenge was to remain in a calorie restricted state Monday through Friday. Supplementing was an easy way of getting adequate protein without adding a huge amount of calories.
The primal diet allows for a good amount of carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and fruits, however, grains, legumes,and starchy carbs are not included in the diet on a regular basis. For the most parts, these foods require some type of processing to make them edible or palatable and from a caloric perspective, are not as good a source of nutrients as are colorful unprocessed fruits and veggies. Without counting, it is easy to get around 100 grams of carbs a day from fruit and veggies(mostly veggies)
After getting adequate protein and adequate carbs, the remainder of energy requirements come from satiating fats, the good fats to include all animal fats, Coconut oil, butter, olive oil, nuts, seeds, and avocados. The good news is that these fats are so satiating that you instinctively stop eating when you've had you fill. No need for counting.
Another concept that I incorporate into my strategy is intermittent fasting. During the transformation, I did daily intermittent fasting Monday through Friday leaving a 3 hour eating window between 8 and 11 p.m. daily. Sometimes, I would only have a single whey protein shake during that eating window. Intermittent fasting has many great implications for not only ridding the body of excess body fat, but also for stimulating metabolic hormones that help to improve overall body composition. I will definitely keep intermittent fasting in my post transformation nutrition strategy.
Cutting and Bulking
Employing intermittent fasting allows me to cut during the week when calories are low. Then I increase calories and protein on the weekend to repair and recuperate from the strenuous week's workout.
My Supplement Program View My Full Supplement Program
Along with nutrition and training, supplements play a key role in helping me reach my fitness goals!
Though it is the goal of every follower of primal lifestyle to meet all of his nutritional requirements through a well balanced diet that accounts for all required nutritional elements, in this modern world where our food supply is not sourced from the most ideal conditions, supplements to make up the difference make since. Additionally, my transformation efforts included a good amount of fasting thus restricting calorie and increasing the risk of missing an important nutritional element. This is where supplementation is a life saver. My supplements include:
- Optimum Nutrition BCAA 1000 capsules - BCAA's can be burned directly in the muscle thus preventing the breakdown of muscle tissue for energy. Because my nutrition strategy included a good amount of fasting and calorie restriction, BCAA's allowed me to acheive my weight loss and body fat goals while preserving the muscle I worked so hard obtain
- Optimum Nutrition Amino Acids - Once again, spending a good portion of my day in fast, it was so important for me to provide a solid source of amino acids directly after a workout to start working on rebuilding and repair.
- Body Fortress Whey Protein - For those times when a meal is not called for but protein is. Some days included only a protein shake as my nutrition for the day. For these times, this supplement allowed me to have a delicious and satisfying meal replacement. Blends great into yogurt for a treat.
- New Whey Protein - Protein on the go, this vial of protein containing 42 grams of protein in 1 easily portable tube is great for those times when a Shake is not feasible.
- Fish Oils - Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid that we all need. Limiting Omega 3 sources during my transformation required me to ensure that I was including these important nutrients in my diet through supplementation.
- Multi-Vitamin - Just in case. I feel it important to take a good multi-vitamin to make up for any known or unknown dietary deficiencies. My multi-vitamin of choice is CVS brand effervesent Vitamin C. In contains an array of vitamins and nutrients in a delicious fizzy beverage.
- Vitamin D3 - A very crucial vitamin to health, Vitamin D3 comes mostly from sun exposure. During winter months when sun exposure is limited, vitamin D3 supplementation is vital.
My Motivation Program View My Full Motivation Program
Results is the best motivation!
After having spent what seeems like a lifetime of striving for the look and health I desired, It is great to finally be able to look in the mirror and like what I see. My change never ceases to amaze me but I realize that I didn't do it by myself. I have had the most wonderful support system throughout my unhealthy years and through this transformation. I owe it to:
My Wonderful Wife Terry - She loved me when I was fat and has supported me throughout this transformation. When I told her about this competition, she was a little skeptical but supported me anyway. She has provided encouragement. She has listened to me complain about how hard it was, how mentally tired I was, about how much each body part hurt after having worked it to the max. Through it all, even after spending lonely evenings while I worked hard at the gym, I arrived home to a smiling face asking me how my workout was. Thhat has meant the world to me and kept me moving forward.
My Training Partners and Trainers - Bodyspace member brettmanley and friend Elijah Conn have been a true inspiration. Spending countless hours in the gym, always showing up and pushing us through those grueling workout gave me inspiration. Encouraging words and and well wishes gave me strength to forge ahead. And my trainer, Skylar Holcomb kicked my tail at every turn but ended training sessions in amazement at my ability to hang in. I also have to include my great cycle class instructors and cycle partner for the motivation they provide. Kathy Kicks my but on Monday and Tuesday nght including long intense workouts that include tabada type work. Susan covers Wednesday and every other Thursday and is always good for a few hard cycle sprints and jumps. Iesha get the other Thursday cycle class and pushes HEAVY HEAVY resistance for killer quad and glute work and Jackie rounds out the week with her Friday night cycle party. Most nights I cycle on the front row right next to Sharon and we have fun motivating w each other to keep pace!
My Family, Friends, and Co-workers - Tons of encouraging words and well wishes from family, friends, and co-workers who have noticed my transformation and taken to time to acknowledge it and encourage me to keep it going.
The Bodyspace Community - To my 200+ friends, my transformation bodygroup members, my 6 followers and the many other badyspace memebers and guests that have taken the time to acknowledge my progress and provide works of encouragement and support, thanks you. There is nothing more motivationsal that to open your email or arrive at your bodyspace page and find a friend request of encourageing comment from someone you don't even know. Yeah, it is great to get encouragement from those who know and care for you, but encouragement from total strangers blows my mind. You guys blow me away. THANK YOU!!!